Conficker Eye Chart Developed

April 1st has come and gone, but researchers are convinced we haven't seen the last of the Conficker worm. While there are ways to determine if you are infected, the Conficker Working Group has posted a simple and visual aid to help as well.

The Conficker Working Group is a group of organizations that have joined forces to fight the Conficker worm.

According to the site, the work on the "test" was Joe Stewart from SecureWorks.

All you have to do is go to the page and view the images there, and compare them to the table of results. It will indicate if you have Conficker A, B, C or none of the above.

The test uses the fact that Conficker blocks certain security Web sites. The logos are derived from the sites themselves, so if they can't load, then the sites are also likely to be blocked.

Of course, it's possible that the tested computer's browser has image loading turned off. Firefox users can check under Tools/Options and the Content tab (make sure Load Images Automatically is checked).

For Internet Explorer, look under Tools/Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Scroll down to Multimedia and Show Pictures should be checked.

For Chrome, that option isn't available, so if you're not seeing images, you could be in trouble.

Comments
Super Dave 5 years ago

I clicked on the link and got this:

What do I do now?

Super Dave 5 years ago

[quote user="News"]

Explanation:

Conficker (aka Downadup, Kido) is known to block access to over 100 anti-virus and security websites.

If you can see all six images in both rows of the top table, you are either not infected by Conficker, or you may be using a proxy server, in which case you will not be able to use this test to make an accurate determination, since Conficker will be unable to block you from viewing the AV/security sites.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="Super Dave"]But seriously, I passed the test, unless I am on a proxy server. So how do I determine if I am on a proxy server?[/quote]

If you are on your home PC and you don't know. You are not on a proxy.

A proxy server is a server that you send your traffic to then they look up your page and send it to you. So to your ISP or your history it looks like you have been to random server over and over again instead of piratebay or some site blocked in your country.

Super Dave 5 years ago

Thanks for answering that for me, Bob!

endersothergame 5 years ago

Looks like I am not infected, as all images loaded correctly.

savage animal 5 years ago

I like super dave picture better than the one I got!

ice91785 5 years ago

OMG I AM INFECTED! ...wait, no...no i am not.

I guess maybe its a good thing that there are jobs being created for this friggin' virus; the programmers of conflicker must be very patriotic and care about our economy :)