Coming to a Car Near You

Adapters, cables, and chargers are just a few of the many things that accompany us on our travels. Inevitably, we end up with a tangled mess of cords. If iSuppli is correct, however, the days of untangling cords before we can connect our iPod to the car is coming to an end.

For years, consumers have demanded better connectivity between our car’s audio system and our portable media players, especially our iPods. Auto makers are getting the message. In fact, 58% of car models released in 2009 are expected to offer an iPod connectivity feature option. For those of you who prefer a different type of fruit, automakers are expected to offer USB options on 1/3 of available options next year.

“The automotive industry is at the point where in-vehicle technologies—or the lack of them—are influencing sales,” said Phil Magney, vice president of automotive research for iSuppli. “The charge toward greater technological integration has been led by car OEMs like Hyundai and Honda, which are making USB/iPod combination interfaces standard on many of their vehicles. It’s also been spurred by OEMs like Audi and Mercedes, which offer integrated Media Device Gateways that allow any device imaginable to integrate with a vehicle.”

iPod and USB connectivity isn’t the only option automakers are adding—Bluetooth is also a big hit. In fact, Bluetooth availability is expected to hit 82% with 2009 auto models.

With these connectivity features and the increasing availability of location based services, now’s as good as time as any to take that road trip you’ve been planning. Assuming, of course, you can afford the gas.

Via:  iSuppli
Tags:  Car, EA, AR, COM
Comments
3vi1 6 years ago

USB... ffpht!

You kids got it easy. In my day, cars had 36-pin Centronics connectors... and we LIKED it.

Dave_HH 6 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah and you walked to school, 8 miles, every day, in the SNOW with holes in your shoes!

If the economy keeps up, we might be back to "your day". :)

3vi1 6 years ago

Uphill!

Both ways!

omegadoom13 3 years ago

What the *%$*?  Sorry... I had to Google "36-pin Centronics connectors.  ;)

from http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/centronics.asp:

About Centronics

This type of connector got its name from the Centronics Corporation, a manufacturer based in Nashua, New Hampshire. Back in the 1970's, Centronics made printers for use with computers. As computers and attached printers became more popular, the connector that they used became the de facto industry standard. The Centronics Corporation was purchased by Genicom (now TallyGenicom) in the 1980's, but their name lives on in this connector.

The Centronics connector has a plastic bar in the center of the connector body that holds the contact pins. The body of the connector is often blue in color.

Centronics 36

The Centronics 36-pin connector is arranged in two rows of pins, each with 18 contacts. The connector is held in place by bail locks. The 36-pin connector is often used for parallel applications, especially for printers. It is also referred to as an IEEE-1284 Type B connector.

:D

dadodgeson 3 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

USB... ffpht!

[/quote]Dang all i had was 8 track tape

Man i was deprived

AZTECHKA 3 years ago

I can see the atraction to the ipod... However... I've always had my muxic on my palmtop PC's Since MP3s first became popular in the early 90's.

It was hard to get too many in a 32 mb card though. LOL... Yeah... 32 Megabytes.

But now with 32 GB micro SD card in my phone and cloud based music... I don't find the need to carry separate devices... My phone is my GPS and my music player and my PDA and my... Well... Lets just put it this way... If I lost my phone I would probably cry.

Bluetooth audio in cars makes a lot of sense... But having to plug in for power the USB connector also makes sense.

p.

jeremy 6 years ago

Damn kids, get your iPods off my lawn!

lolWut 6 years ago

buy a $20 aftermarket deck with ipod/usb connectivity? How can not having ipod/usb connectivity in a car at purchase affect sales.. I think thats stupid :/

ADana 3 years ago

Well, I can only hope that the Honda dealers LA will find the car I need in their stock, I am about to make a buy but the options list is so long that I find it impossible to make a decision without further support.