Comcast "Embarrassed" Over Customer Support Call From Hell

Comcast has long been one of the most loathed companies in America - it even won Consumerist's 2014 award for Worst Company in America - but it doesn't seem to mind. If it did, it probably wouldn't make it virtually impossible for someone to cancel their service - but it does. It's not hard to find stories like this, but when it happens to someone well-known on the Internet, it can blow-up into something big

Earlier this week, couple Veronica Belmont and Ryan Block decided to cancel their Comcast service. Veronica was the call initiator, and didn't expect too much of a problem - but that didn't last for long. On the verge of losing it, Ryan took over the call and decided to record the remainder of it. Of course, that recording was posted online (it can be found at the URL below), and it's as cringey, and perhaps as rage-inducing, as you'd expect it to be. You'd be led to believe that someone at Comcast died every time someone canceled their service given how adamant the customer service rep was with trying to keep them on.

Flickr: Thoth God of Knowledge

Nonetheless, despite this being a mere customer complaint, Comcast wasted no time in coming public with an apology. This is it, in its entirety:

We are very embarrassed by the way our employee spoke with Mr. Block and Ms. Belmont and are contacting them to personally apologize. The way in which our representative communicated with them is unacceptable and not consistent with how we train our customer service representatives. We are investigating this situation and will take quick action. While the overwhelming majority of our employees work very hard to do the right thing every day, we are using this very unfortunate experience to reinforce how important it is to always treat our customers with the utmost respect.

I don't know about you, but this to me is nothing more than Comcast saving face. If this experience didn't happen to two well-known Internet stars, I'm betting that no statement would have been made at all. It's because of how public this has become that Comcast felt compelled to speak up. What would help at this point is if others who've had to deal with the same hassles came forward, and prove that this wasn't simply a poor, one-off experience. We'd hate to see more of this happen (thanks to Reddit for the link).

Via:  TechCrunch
Comments
MikeMcBeath 5 months ago

This was funny to listen to, but the amount of "news" time it's getting is just silly.

AngelaCastellani 5 months ago

yeh but comcast is not only company that does this, ive had charter and att do this to me . had one rep totally lie to me about what it would cost me for att uverse and for year i called and called them at ATT to get a line replaced from telephone pole to pole as it was totally grown inside a tree down from me and it kept dropping signal. took me year to get ATT out here to finally replace it, and course no credit for that whole year of lousy service. so i know the feeling , i feel all these companies need to stop out sourcing those customer service calls and get back to actual users answering the calls from other users locally. if it was a local person you where dealing with then they would know the real issues a customer may be going thru. i feel if those reps you have to talk to had to suffer thru the same issues themselves they would be more understanding themselves to others who may call with an issue.

TomHeckman 5 months ago

Only because its out of the bag that they do this... wankers.

Rosec14 5 months ago

I've never heard of either of those people, how are they famous?

thunderdan602 5 months ago

Ryan Block is the a co-founder of the technology news site, Engaget.

semitope 5 months ago

dude could have just answered the question and saved himself this hassle.

JohnTucker 5 months ago

DSylvander 5 months ago

Help Me, Help You

What a giver...

little tear 😢

Super Dave 5 months ago

HERE is a story that might explain why the Comcast rep was such a knucklehead.

sevags 5 months ago

This isn't something new at all people have gone through this for decades now!

I posted about my TWC experience 2 years ago when I cancelled our service to jump ship to UVerse. Long story again short; I was treated poorly on the phone, the guy wouldn't just cancel my service and when he kept demanding a reason why when I finally responded with "we hate your company and its service" he went off on me and hung up the phone. I called back to report him and verify the cancellation was put in. They then decided to charge us for a cable modem they took back years before and were still charging us every month for. After refusing to pay they reported it to the credit agencies so we hired a lawyer. They dropped it after that.

Every company pretty much provides this kind of customer support when you are trying to cancel something but great you with a warm tone when you call to start an account. The big cable companies in the US, and then wireless carries, are probably the worst when it comes to this.

infinityzen1 5 months ago

Eh, I have to cancel service all the time. I'm in the military and I just tell them I'm moving to an area of the country they don't provide service in. If they give me any gruff, just threaten to report them and get them "Black Listed".

TegRity 5 months ago

Nothing embarrasses comcast

DennisWilliams 5 months ago

The link didn't lead to the phone conversation for me. Very interested to hear it.

ThomasTaege 5 months ago

If you want to cancel a service you should be able to do so. This is nuts. I'll avoid comcast at all costs for sure!