Blu-ray Reaches 100GB Capacity

Thanks to high definition video, pictures, and other digital files, we need increased amounts of storage. Soon, the storage capacity of Blu-ray discs could double. In fact, companies such as Sharp, TDK, and Verbatim are already making plans to launch new discs that can store up to 100GB of data.

According to a statement, Sharp will start selling a Blu-ray disc with a capacity of 100GB in Japan starting today. The VR-100BR1 disc conforms to the BDXL format specification announced in April by the Blu-ray Disc Association. Last week, TDK made plans to start selling 100GB Blu-ray discs in September. Verbatim has also announced plans to ship 100GB Blur-ray discs next year.

Currently, Blu-ray discs support storage capacities of 25GB for single-layer discs and 50GB on dual-layer discs. In order to achieve 100GB, the new discs will add a third storage layer. Theoretically, the BDXL format can support storage capacities up to 128GB using a fourth storage layer.

In addition to the discs, Sharp has announced the Aquos BD-HDW700/BD-HDW70 Blu-ray disc recorders that will support the new discs and be able to record to them. These recorders also launched today in Japan.

Although most Blu-ray discs today are used for movies, the Blu-ray Disc Association is hoping the new BDXL format will attract new applications such as data backup and high-definition video storage.

Via:  Sharp
Comments
Chainzsaw 4 years ago

Getting ready for 4K resolutions? Sweet.

Anyone know if the PS3 will support the 100GB discs? I'm guessing no...

Kyouya 4 years ago

The PS3 will not support it because of the technology of the blu-ray laser.

inspector 4 years ago

So if it is the advance of the blu-ray laser... would that mean you have to switch blu-ray players in order to view these disk?

soldier1969 4 years ago

This is good but the regular 25gb and 50gb blank Blu Rays are still too high to buy on a regular basis and they want to come out with these, almost no one will buy them.

Super Dave 4 years ago

[quote user="soldier1969"]

Agreed. I won't get into Blu-Ray until the prices drop (hardware and media).

animatortom 4 years ago

Now you go buy new Prayers, New Bru-Ray Disc Burners.....and new exprensive discs!!! Now!!

And you too can Rook Rike Japanese Dracura In Business suite!!!

New market= Banzai Blrood :P

@least now we can fit an entire season of TNG on one disc?

3vi1 4 years ago

>> Unfortunately, BDXL discs will not work in the traditional Blu-ray drives we have available today. As a result, users will need to purchase new drives if they want to take advantage of the increased storage and new format.

As a result, there are about 300 potential customers for this.

I'm not saying it won't eventually become a standard (if it doesn't get 1-up'd in a year), but who the hell wants this right now.

inspector 4 years ago

who the hell wants to buy a new drive player right after he bought one yesterday? would bea better way of saying that :D lol

3vi1 4 years ago

Hehe... true, Inspector.

I just don't know any home consumers using BR for personal storage, and the paint's barely dry on my own BR recorder. I think I'll skip the next gen... or two.

acarzt 4 years ago

"Unfortunately, BDXL discs will not work in the traditional Blu-ray drives we have available today. As a result, users will need to purchase new drives if they want to take advantage of the increased storage and new format. "

Well, that sucks lol Might as well move to a new format lol

realneil 4 years ago

It pisses me off because I did just buy a BD-Player for the living room and two of my PC's have BD-Players on them as well. I like the tech for seeing movies, but how long before the BD-Movies are in this new format? Then I get to throw away perfectly functioning drives and players to buy all new all over again?

They can kiss my A*s first.

acarzt 4 years ago

Well... no one is going to need storage THIS big until image quality get's significantly higher lol

4k might be able to push the limits. But 4k is VERY far off from being in the average consumer's living room. The TVs are still more expensive than a fully loaded BMW lol

animatortom 4 years ago

Sorry Neil..I know that feeling!

Now you can file it next to the HD disc players.

All I can say is....SUCKAAAA!

Chainzsaw 4 years ago

I Agree with you neil. I got the PS3 because it was the most compatible bluray player after my stand alone (gasp...a sony!) crapped out on me. Now they better not start making 100GB Blu ray movies....I will feel like my blu ray collection is like a VHS tape collection. I'm keeping my blu ray player/ TV combo until they both die out.

sackyhack 4 years ago

Why bother calling it blu-ray, it's pretty much a new format. If it needs new players, I don't see these catching on anytime soon and making regular blu-rays and players obsolete, so I'm not worried about having bought a PS3 last year. The only people this would serve would be people who have the means to view video higher than 1080p, or people who have 1TB of data to backup, and people who can afford the new players. That's gonna be an awfully small market.