Best Buy Will Upgrade Your PS3's Firmware For "Just" $30

This comes straight out of the I Can't Believe Anyone Pays For That department. According to reports that've been confirmed by Best Buy, one of the services the company's Geek Squad offers is firmware upgrades for the PS3 for the low, low price of $30. If you've ever flashed a PS3, you know that the process is dirt-simple and virtually impossible to screw up.

Statistically speaking, this isn't a task idiots could do. It's a task idiots do do.

Short of a mid-flash earthquake, llama stampede, or meteor strike, anyone can handle it. What originally flashed across radars was Best Buy's decision to sell "pre-configured" PS3's for $329 rather than the $299 standard retail. Asked to explain the value of said service, Best Buy responded with the following:

"Best Buy’s Geek Squad offers services to support virtually all the gear we sell – and gaming consoles are no exception.  This service has been available to our customers for nearly two years.  While many gamers can handle firmware upgrades easily on their own, those customers who do want help can get it from Geek Squad, and we continue to evaluate this offering to ensure it meets their needs.  The service goes beyond a firmware updates, and includes user account setup, parental control setup and other components."

Coming from a company that typically charges $149-$299 for spyware removal and $149 to setup* a computer in-house, we can't say we're surprised at BB's willingness to profit from the stupidity of others. Still, if we ran the company, we'd sleep better at night with lower fees and more frequent display of a large, hand-painted sign that read: "You Can Do This
Yourself. Really. We Promise."

* - That $149 buys you cable routing (if you provide your own cable ties), installation of one piece of software, installation of one peripheral, and the configuration of one email account. And for just $99 more, Best Buy will transfer up to 20GB of data from one computer to another. Just $99!
Comments
fat78 4 years ago

what a rip off.

der meister 4 years ago

typical but all firmware upgrades are $30

3vi1 4 years ago

>> typical but all firmware upgrades are $30

Then they're all $28 overpriced. If it takes more than 15 minutes to update firmware, they're doing something wrong.

From what I understand, newer games include the newer firmware (like Sony did with the PSP). Pop F1 2010 in a PS3 and it will walk you through an immediate update.

realneil 4 years ago

The Geek Squad should wear masks to work.

Der Meister 4 years ago

maybe we do Wink

animatortom 4 years ago

I also hear that the LA police department are using that term for police code when a suspect has been rapped in order to protect their anonymity from public scrutiny!

They now say,...They got "Best Buyed"

dadodgeson 4 years ago

i dont know much about the ps3 but every time i have asked a geek squad pro somthing i end knowing more than he/she dose and they are younger than me they should know more about it than i do so i would not ask a geek to help with my ps3 either not for $30 or for free

inspector 4 years ago

... greeksquad knows nothing about computers. I got my cousins a Computer from them and the service to make a restore disk... $99 with the antivirus crap and all so i won't waste too much time at their house setting it up... Well lets just say that turned out to be waaaaay off... They messed so bad the usb ports didn't work O.o... I don't know how that happened but the system didn't detect the usb printer. So spent some time restoring the cd they made... thankfully that wasn't messed up.

3vi1 4 years ago

>> Coming from a company that typically charges $149-$299 for spyware removal

For $75 I'll remove your entire Windows partition.

realneil 4 years ago

Do a Google search for "Geek Squad" and you'll end up with an eye-full. The work contract that you have to sign when you get there releases them from any liability for any result from anything they do, no matter what you're told when you give them your PC.

It's sort of like a "get out of responsibility" card in their Monopoly game of PC service.

They're talking about it on the web quite a bit.

Der Meister 4 years ago

it sounds bad talking amongst a bunch of people who are in the "know", but 95% pf people are not in the "know" therefore they pay the price to have it done. While it might sound outrageous to us. To a person who knows nothing, its not. I charge 50 and hour for my knowledge when freelance flight instructing.

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="Der Meister"]I charge 50 and hour for my knowledge when freelance flight instructing[/quote]

Rightfully so too. What you're teaching takes skill and patience, along with lots of knowledge.

I charge $50.00 an hour too when I do computer work for people, but I guarantee results and if I can't fix the problem then I don't charge them a dime.

I'm also competent enough to work on their PC without compromising their data. They'll get a good result with me and know what's really wrong with their PC when I'm through diagnosing it.

My problem with some of Best Buy's practices goes to their callous handling of people's data. (this is the one thing that matters most to a PC owner) They just don't give a rat's ass about it,.....and they've proven it time and time again. If they do lose your data, they aren't responsible for it, even if it happened through their own mishandling and errant actions, because you have to sign that contract absolving them of any responsibility beforehand.

A friend's son worked at best buy for 3 years. During that time he amassed a collection of MP3's that went towards 400GB in size. He had 40GB of pictures of customers in various stages of undress that they never intended for anyone else to see. They regularly mined customers PC's for anything interesting, just for the fun of it, and then compared what they found with each other. They had a 'Community PC' in the shop with storage for everything they chose to keep.

I can't say that this happens at every Best Buy store, but it happened at my local store. I realize that wherever you go you can find people of integrity that are honest and can be trusted to do the right thing. There have to be some of those at Best Buy. But as I said, an internet search for Geek Squad will turn up a crap-load of horror stories from people who documented their experiences there, and were screwed three ways from Sunday. Maybe it's too bad that their happy customers don't post on the web.

rapid1 4 years ago

Der Meister is dead right, and I have worked in PC support for years, 16 of them now. At least in one way or another, now most of it is in communications. The general public has no idea what is in the box (IE:PC, PS3, Xbox, Laptop on and on), nor do they want to know. They want to hit the on button and the device does whatever it is supposed to. If not they stick it in the basement or trash and get a new one period. So I am not defending BB here, but I know where they get there business from, your neighbor's almost all of them.

DeathPaladin 4 years ago

Are you kidding me? Really? I've owned a PS3 since launch, and I can tell you: updating firmware really only requires the click of one icon. ONE. And it pops a full-screen message telling you exactly which one when a firmware update is required. To top it off, the update icon isn't in a sub-menu or difficult to find. It's the very first icon at the top of the Settings list, with "Network Update" next to it in big bold letters.

For those of you who are thinking "Well what if they can't connect for a network update?" I have only this to say; if you can't afford to pay for an internet connection, you more than likely can't afford the best next-gen gaming console on the market.

animatortom 4 years ago

If someone is not in the know of how to do this then how in the world are they able to get past the ISP setup on a PS3:P

I also understand the people who cant understand why their computer doesn't work? Because they don't have it plugged in! But those are also people who really don't deserve a computer! they buy it just because at some point they can. Then their nephew ends up benefiting from it!

This is like selling computers to someone who is mentally handicapped, then setting it up to handle rendering software. Then expecting them to operate it after you leave! If they cant flash the firmware. Then how are they going to figure out the six axxis controllers game combinations! just go buy a Wii if you need something for a six year old:P

Joel H 4 years ago

$50 an hour is a much better deal than $399 for spyware removal. I don't think I've ever spent more than 3 hours fighting with malware--four hours tops. After four hours, if I'm not getting anywhere and can't find guidance on a solution, it's usually time to backup what I can and nuke the OS.

Figure four hours of attempted repair and two hours to reinstall/reconfigure the OS, and that's still just $300.

rapid1 4 years ago

Rofl Joel Bestbuy offers a total rip off for no extra charge. It is an auto add on to any service you buy there. Seriously though 90% of America really has no clue what to do with a computer when they have an issue of any kind. I actually go to Bestbuy generally just to check stuff out in person really. I still do not understand why people don't use the online shopping option, but I guess it goes along with both a refusal to learn, and the earlier facts I mentioned really.