Another Steve Jobs Action Figure Shut Down by Apple

Those goofy guys over at M.I.C. Gadget must have had too many unsold Steve Jobs Action Figures lying around to just sit on, so they tried disguising him by adding a Ninja Face Mask and renaming him "Pineapple CEO." Sadly, it was just a tad too obvious, and Apple told them to stop selling the figure. According to the site's blog post, Apple hit them up with the cease-and-desist order on Thursday, Feb. 17.

M.I.C. Gadget was selling a Steve Jobs Action Figure back in November of 2010. Apple told them to halt sales of that, as well. This new figure appears to be the same one, with the addition of the aforementioned mask and ninja throwing stars, perhaps a reference to the prior unconfirmed story about a "shuriken incident" involving Jobs in Japan.

The "Pineapple CEO" had been available online for $89. It was obvious this would happen, and since M.I.C. Gadget seems reluctant to trash its remaining Action Figures, it's possible it will happen again, in some still different form.

Here's what M.I.C. Gadget said Apple told them:
“Mr. Jobs has not consented to the use of his name and/or image in the Product. Unauthorized use of a person’s name and/or likeness constitutes a violation of California Civil Code Section 3344, which prohibits the use of any person’s name, photograph or likeness in a product without that person’s prior consent… The figure and its stand are replications of Mr. Jobs image and Apple’s trademark. The thin attempt to “disguise” the figure in its current iteration does not impact the fact that you are plainly trading on Mr. Jobs image.”
Thinly disguised is actually giving M.I.C. Gadget too much credit. Still, it was nice while it lasted.
Via:  M.I.C. Gadget
Comments
AKwyn 3 years ago

Seriously. I think if they want to sell their Steve Jobs action figures. They should just dress him up in an entirely green suit (including his face) and call him "Green Steve".

It's brilliant. Nobody will be the wiser, including Apple.

coolice 3 years ago

that's Ninja Steve.... hes a bad ninja cause all his secrets get leaked all the time... no wonder those toys dont sell.

SammyHayabuza 3 years ago

I would buy one, but not for $89... $25 is the most I'll give. I think it's a pretty cool toy to have lying on the desk, great conversation piece.

I think that M.I.C will have no trouble selling them in the streets or at some willing local shops, but not for $89.

inspector 3 years ago

LOL sammy, i like your avatar pic :D. Should just leave the face blank :P, im sure you would know who it is with the way it is dressed.

SammyHayabuza 3 years ago

LOL..Well well, look what I've found @ M.I.C.,  they've gone after another tech maestro !! Better get em while supplies last, cause this one will be a limited edition collectors item.....who could this be??

I've heard he's a big tablet fan and likes to root them???

coolice 3 years ago

I just realized.... dude, is that Ninja Dave? hahah

Dave_HH 3 years ago

DOH!! I leave the computer for a mere 6 hours someone has me in a Ninja Action Hero suit? Gotta love you guys. Gotta love ya!

And hey, I'm going to see if I can get some of them whipped up as key chains. You guys would pay good coin for one of those, right? Come onnnnn! Right??!?! :D

Inspector 3 years ago

Yes Dave, Big Money :P

3vi1 3 years ago

Does section 3344 apply even after the person is dead? Because, you know, they could simply sit on their inventory for a few months.

coolice 3 years ago

i dont know whether to laugh at that... or feel terrible for even finding that remotely funny... me insides say thats not a very nice thing to say... though, i'm pretty sure Jobs still wants to idolize himself... but this ninja version isnt acceptable.

3vi1 3 years ago

[quote user="coolice"]or feel terrible for even finding that remotely funny...[/quote]

I don't actually think he'll die soon, so I had no problem writing it.  :)

I probably shouldn't make fun of the handicapped, though.  Oh wait... that's just how he parks.

Of course it's hard for them to ticket you for it if you never put a license plate on your car.

Super Dave 3 years ago

[quote user="3vi1"]

In that case, section 3344.1 would apply (see HERE).Wink

rapid1 3 years ago

All they have to do is make a sub-entity corporation in Nevada, and sell the dolls to them there, and the sub-entity corporation could sell them until Apple caught one. Then the California code would not be applicable, although I am sure Nevada has one as well. As far as it all goes I would also say shame on you 3vi!, then I would say that I was really offended if it were true.

The truth is I have already died once (and was in a coma for 1.5 months, and then different rehabs following that for most of a year), and I literally don't find it offensive from my stand point. Death comes when it will, it is not your choice or mine, and it then has it's way with you whether you like it or not. When I do die forever I want everyone to have a massive party for a week, and laugh at my bad pictures as well as their memories of me. Then I will be remembered by those who matter to me correctly.

coolice 3 years ago

True.... my parents are the same... They're like Son.... when we pass away, dont cry... do two things

1) if you can, try an insurance scam and blame it on us, we'll be dead anyway, so its fine

2) play some music, celebrate what we've accomplished have a blast... then my dad proceeds to quote LOTR hahaha... "death is only the beginning"

I hate to ask... but how did you die? then land in coma for 1.5 months... also, while you were in a coma, do you remrmber much? was it all dreamspace type thing? were you sort of concious? Sorry if these questions are a little personal.

AKwyn 3 years ago

I see my comment has gone over everybody's heads. For the uninitiated, this is what I'm talking about.

The Green Man from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". Note that you cannot see his face at all.

coolice 3 years ago
Ohhhh LOL, i though you meant... cause he's sucking all the money out of us... well... other people.
ThunderBird 3 years ago

LOL Thats good stuff right there!!!!!

I heard these figurines were fetching $1,000 and up on "fleabay" a few months back. Wish I could have gotten a few.

rapid1 3 years ago

Sorry Coolice I had just typed up pretty much the whole incident, and the page restarted on me. I will retype it all tomorrow for you as well as anyone interested. As far as it goes I take no offense to you asking at all, and will willingly give you all the detail's.