Adobe's Flash Going 3D: Is A 3D Internet In Our Future?

Oh, brother. Okay, we won't jump to conclusions and be immediately skeptical, but there's just something strange about how quickly the industry is latching onto 3D without any real proof that it'll work in more than just the cinema. Of course, when power house companies like Sony and NVIDIA get behind something, it leaves little choice for everyone else. They either follow suit or get left behind, in most cases.

Now, Adobe is expected to introduce full 3D support in their next version of Flash. Yes, 3D Flash. One has to wonder if the Nexus One, which runs Flash fairly well, will ever be able to even support 3D Flash, though obviously you'd need it output to a 3D monitor to fully see the effect. At any rate, the news has come right around the time that other competing web formats have announced similar support, which honestly means that even the Internet may be going 3D.

That's something that really hasn't been talked about very much in the mainstream. "What happens if websites are converted to 3D?" It's an important question to ask. You'd need a graphics card capable of handling 3D content, a monitor capable of the same and a pair of 3D glasses everywhere that you surfed. Imagine taking those into a public library in an attempt to view a 3D website. A disaster waiting to happen. Of course, now that video games are in 3D, it's not shocking to hear that Flash wants to be as well. But there will have to be a fine line walked in order to ensure satisfying experiences for both the 3D and 2D crowds.
Via:  C|net
Comments
lifeskills 4 years ago

3d = excuse for Adobe to release CS6, a record 3 months after CS5

AKwyn 4 years ago

I don't think that's what Adobe will do. They'll probably add an update for CS5 that allows Flash CS5 to create stuff for the 3D Flash Player. After all, what can CS6 offer us that CS5 doesn't already? They need to add all sorts of new stuff besides 3D.

lifeskills 4 years ago

I know, I was just joking.  It seems like they have a new release quite often, but most of those do have staple updates.  I have only used CS4, but I watched a few things on Photoshop CS5's content aware feature, pretty cool stuff.

I would have to disagree that it will be an update to CS5.  I think they will continue developing and release with CS6.

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="lifeskills"]

CS1 came in 2003, CS2 came 2 years later, CS3 came 2 years later, CS4 came 1 year later and CS5 came 2 years later. If you know the exact timespan that CS6 will be released let me know. Otherwise I stand on the belief that Adobe will release an update for CS5 that contains the 3D stuff. Unless Adobe is late on the 3D Flash Player.

ClemSnide 4 years ago

Obviously, this will mean that Android and WebOS and all the others are dead, because they don't support 3D Flash. We need 3D Flash animations on our tiny little smartphone screens, or else all of those devices will become immediately obsolete.

Riiiiiight?

_Ric_ 4 years ago

Guys - stop! .... Wrong type of 3d!

Adobe are talking about 3d as in vector polygon rendering - the kind of stuff that will allow you to render 3d models which can be rotated on all three axis, and will enable developers to make games from a first person perspective.

Not 3d as in Jaws III and other recent 3d films. Even Adobe aren't quite mad enough to believe that anyone wants to view the internet through a pair of red and blue glasses!

acarzt 4 years ago

I was thinking the same thing... 3D is too universal of a word in multimedia.

But I thought Adobe already had 3d rendering programs?

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="_Ric_"]

Guys - stop! .... Wrong type of 3d!

Uh... Adobe already did 3D rendering in Flash Player 10. I guess everybody forgot about that seeing as how the release was recent.

acarzt 4 years ago

I thought that was the case Taylor... this 3D thing was confusing to me tho... cuz I though the "new" 3D crap is stupid and that they shouldn't waste their time... but I thought they already did the "old" 3D stuff.

Eitherway... All this 3d stuff really gets on my nerves... it's hard to find the new movies I want to see in 2D at the theatre so i'm forced to pay extra to see them in 3D even tho I don't want to.

It's just a new gimmick to pitch and sell to all of us fools.

_Ric_ 4 years ago

Everyone forgot the 3d rendering in FP10 because it was a pile of turd. It was little more than a scaling and z-sorting algorithm, and not even half as useful as the 3rd party 3D renderers built for FP9 like PaperVision3D or Away3D. What Adobe are hinting at here is full, hardware accelerated 3d polygon rendering with texturing and (hopefully) shader support. This is Adobe's chance to do it properly. To be honest, they need this to work to stay ahead of the game. I think most Flash developers are a little skeptical as to whether Adobe can actually pull this off given their last attempt, but I for one am cautiously optimistic.

AKwyn 4 years ago

[quote user="_Ric_"]

I don't think that's it. Even the best of people can make use of a minor turd of a feature then step up to the big boys. Also the 3D stuff is hardware accelerated BTW.

JDoady 4 years ago

X3D is the ISO standard for 3D on the internet. A number of proprietary implementations of 3D such as Adobe and JavaFX are trying to corner this market. Have a look at examples of X3D content for 3D in a web browser at this site.

_Ric_ 4 years ago

Well - just popped in to say 'I told you so!" ;)