ATI FirePro Peformance Plug-ins Optimized for AutoCAD, 3ds Max

If you're an AutoCAD or 3ds Max user, you'll find this information out of AMD today to be very interesting. ATI's FirePro application support team have devised a way to drastically increase the performance of FirePro or FireGL workstation graphics cards when running AutoCAD or 3ds Max. AMD has just released a set of performance plug-ins designed to provide additional optimizations for AutoCAD 2010, AutoCAD 2011, 3ds Max 2010, and 3ds Max 2011. With these plug-ins, ATI claims their "FirePro graphics cards offer more than double the performance over comparable consumer graphics cards." AMD claims users can expect significant improvements in visual quality as well.

Plug-ins for AutoCAD 2010, AutoCAD 2011, 3ds Max 2010, and 3ds Max 2011 are available for download here.

Autodesk AutoCAD and 3ds Max Performance Plug-ins

Architects, engineers, graphic designers and visual effects artists need stable, reliable and high performance computing solutions to get the job done. To help meet these needs, ATI FirePro professional graphics products are fueled by the combination comprehensive ISV certifications, optimized driver software and leading-edge GPU technology.

AMD collaborated with Autodesk to optimize its latest ATI FirePro hardware for a number of applications, including Autodesk AutoCAD and Autodesk 3ds Max.

AutoCAD 2010 and 2011

Take your designs further. The new AutoCAD 2010 and 2011 performance plug-ins from AMD are designed to optimize application performance on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

Building, infrastructure and manufacturing practitioners will experience a phenomenal performance boost when running AutoCAD 2010 or 2011 on ATI FirePro professional graphics, compared to AMD's consumer graphics. The entry-level ATI FirePro V3800 achieved almost double the performance per dollar of a mid-ranged consumer graphics card, while the midrange ATI FirePro V5800 achieved more than 2X performance per dollar of a high-end consumer graphics card.

3ds Max 2010 and 2011

Create stunning 3D. The new 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 performance plug-ins from AMD are designed to optimize application performance on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

Visual effects artists and graphic designers creating games, film and television content can take advantage of incredible performance with 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 running on ATI FirePro professional graphics.

ATI FirePro Professional Graphics family

AMD offers a variety of ATI FirePro professional graphics solutions designed specifically to meet professional needs at every level:

* ATI FirePro V3800 - Ideal for handling small to medium-sized models and few assembly parts and components
    * ATI FirePro V4800 - Tackles medium to large data sets in production environments while giving users the flexibility to expand beyond two displays
    * ATI FirePro V5800 - Best suited for users working with a broad range of applications, medium to large data sets and advanced visual effects
    * ATI FirePro V7800 - Capable of managing complex models and visual effects, while helping users meet the requirements demanding visualization jobs
    * ATI FirePro V8800 - Ideal for tackling large data sets or shader-intensive applications, who demand high-end computational power and superior visual flexibility
    * ATI FirePro V9800 - Best suited for professionals working with the largest data sets and the most intensive 3D environments

Via:  HotHardware
Comments
realneil 4 years ago

OK Tom,.... jump on this and report back to us!

lifeasjosh 4 years ago

The naming in the charts seem off. Should it not be:

High Entry

Mid-range

low-entry

Rather than:

midrange

High-entry

low-entry?

animatortom 4 years ago

HAH! HAH!

been trying to get this to work for the past two days!

Before when I had four views open only two would be functional:P

Now with the new ATI 3DS performance plug-ins, All views are black!

They do have cool little red control wheels that are supposed to be grey shaded. So on top of the Black backgrounds it looks cool. But you are not able to see anything else:P

This is the same type of garbage that I was saying, that Nvidia has a better track record when it comes to supporting professional DCC GPU's!

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]This is the same type of garbage that I was saying, that Nvidia has a better track record when it comes to supporting professional DCC GPU's[/quote]

WELL SHE-------IT!

animatortom 4 years ago

Yeah? The only thing I can attribute it to is that AMD is not writing these drivers for system that are using Intel CPU's. Maybe if I was using an AMD Phenom with Vision or something like that then it would work.

Just another example of what lowlifes they are!

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]The only thing I can attribute it to is that AMD is not writing these drivers for system that are using Intel CPU's[/quote]

Now it would be a trip if you could prove that one. Is anyone else on this site having these troubles?

animatortom 4 years ago

Yeah that would be nice. But since all the posts HH has done on the FirePros, I haven't heard anyone else say they are using one?

Most seem to be focused on gaming cards.  Since the new editions of programs like Max tend to run the GPU/CPU's in unison when operating the OpenGL/CL, Shaders and DX to process the graphics. The drivers are the most essential part of having a workstation card, that is what you pay the premium for.

ATI seems really slow at getting these drivers to actually function. so far since the beginning of the year the drivers tend to finally get a little better when they decide to release the next version. which at this point is about six months between releases.

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]ATI seems really slow at getting these drivers to actually function[/quote]

One of the tricks of the trade with gaming card drivers is to use older drivers if the new release doesn't work well. I have been known to go back two or three versions to correct my problems. Maybe you should check it out?

Never having used a pro card before, I may be talking out of my SleepbacksideSleep when I'm passing you advice, but on my side of the fence, it's worked in the past.

realneil 4 years ago

So Tom,......it seems that we now have another opinion and it's the same as yours.

On another note,.....I hear that NVIDIA has just released two cards that are very inexpensive.

Mj77 4 years ago

I have AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T + ATI FIREPRO V4800 , and believe it - it's the same problem.

I don't see major difference over my old NVIDIA FX5200 5$ AGP CARD under Pentium 4 !!! - a waste of money !

the driver interferes with the AERO under win 7 pro (x64) and leads to crash.

The only certified driver for Autocad is 8.723 .

There are many different certified driver releases for each application, i.e. if i have two apps installed on one machine i have to install two drivers (which is not possible) in order to function.

ATI has a lot of problems although it offers more tech for less money ,but it's only on paper when it comes to reality. Besides it is not supported in the new ADOBE CS5, BLENDER and LINUX decent support  .

The question that rises :

Am i going to pull my hair instead of doing my job because the non responsible ATI/AMD group's actions ?

and the worse question is :

How does  AMD expect standing in front of the competition with it's faulty promises .

superkames 4 years ago

"Worse than that, the new driver 8.773 that was released in 9/29/2010 does not work with Autocad 2011 and is recognized as (NON SUPPORTED HARDWARE)"

@Mj77. I dont think so .

animatortom 4 years ago

Plus every time you open CCC, it says you have to restart for new changes?

It is almost like the ATI autodetect has a problem with stabilization!

What sucks even worse is that Nvidia has come out with their Quadro 4000! it only has 256 streams, but it also has OpenGL 4.0 compared to 3.2. All other specs are the same, I would take 150 stream if they are at least stable and more productive! Plus it is only 780 Bucks! Next time I end up spending 1400 dollars for my professional livelihood, I wont be wasting it on AMD products!

I would like to keep telling them how much they suck, but every time I do they thank me for buying thier flagship workstation card and say they will continue to support it! Well no SH@# it just came out you tools!

realneil 4 years ago

[quote user="animatortom"]I would like to keep telling them how much they suck, but every time I do they thank me[/quote]

I just thought of something,....have you tried sacrificing a chicken to the gods? Maybe that card, bathed in the blood of a small, defenseless animal would suddenly work well?

superkames 4 years ago