AMD Unveils R9 285 Graphics Powerhouse, Shipping Next Week

If you thought it was a good time to be a gamer, well guess what? It just got even better. AMD used its 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming celebration to announce a new Radeon R9 200 Series graphics card, the Radeon R9 285. Spec-wise, the card is similar to AMD's Radeon R9 280, but with a newer GPU and a few enhancements that make it a more robust card (we'll have to wait and see if it's faster, too).

It's also worth noting that AMD is no longer pimping the Radeon R9 280, and while the Sunnyvale chip designer didn't come right out and say it, reading between the lines seems to reveal that the Radeon R9 285 is intended to be a replacement, with speculation that it's based on AMD's new Tonga GPU.

Radeon R9 285

Getting right down to the nitty-gritty, the Radeon R9 285 brings with it 1,792 stream processors, 112 texture units, 32 ROPs, 918MHz boost clockspeed (core clock is unknown at this time), 2GB of GDDR5 memory clocked at 5.5GHz on a 256-bit bus, and a 190W typical power rating. Compared to the Radeon R9 280, it's very similar, except the 280 has a faster boost clockspeed (933MHz), a wider memory bus (384-bit), and a slower memory clockspeed (5GHz).

Though AMD doesn't advertise different Graphics Core Next (GCN) versions, it seems likely the Radeon R9 285 is rocking version 1.1, which would give it some performance optimizations over the Radeon R9 280. What we know for sure is that the card supports DirectX 12, Mantle, and TrueAudio technology.

Radeon R9 285 Price

Perhaps the best part of all this is pricing. AMD says the Radeon R9 285 will be available on September 2 for $249, which is $50 less expensive than the Radeon R9 280X.
Via:  AMD
Comments
CDeeter 2 months ago

Glad to see this card coming out, as it's time for Tahiti and Pitcairn to be replaced with more efficient GPUs, and the modern features that GCN 1.1 bring with it.

altshep123 2 months ago

Everyone keeps complaining about the naming scheme being confusing and that an r9 285 should not be "slower" than the pre-existing r9 280. Are they overlooking the support for mantle and DirectX 12 (which in benchmarks is showing up to 30% increase in frame rate across demanding video game titles), the inclusion of AMD TrueAudio and the fact that we're SURE to see an extreme variant released soon enough for people who don't want to settle for only 2GB of VRAM?

Seems to me the price is right for this new entry.

realneil 2 months ago

$240 for the 2GB version, but it will be offered in a 4GB version too. That's the ones that I want to get. Two 4GB cards would be good for most games for a long time.

The two R9-280X OC 3GB cards that I have are pretty potent running in Crossfire, and I got ~both~ of them secondhand for $400. It's just getting better all of the time,......

infinityzen1 2 months ago

I'm waiting to see what the 285X will perform like.

realneil 2 months ago

[quote user="InfinityzeN1"]I'm waiting to see what the 285X will perform like.[/quote]

LOL,...I ~have~ to wait anyways, but the 4GB memory should help it out compared to the 2GB cards. From now on 4GB is the least amount I'll get on a card.

altshep123 2 months ago

Shhh, don't tell me that or I'm going to have to go out and get myself another 770 with money I don't have budgeted.

realneil 2 months ago

[quote user="Ben"] with money I don't have budgeted.[/quote]

Welcome to my world

rrplay 2 months ago

[quote user="realneil"] [quote user="Ben"] with money I don't have budgeted.[/quote]

Welcome to my world

For sure guys  mine is similar to Vapor-X    >>  gone before me gets my paws on it.

BMAN 2 months ago

I have to agree with realneil on this one; currently I'm sporting an 2 GB HD7950 (cooled by water), and await a 4 GB model on just about any decent GPU that's not going to send me into bankruptcy just to acquire it.

I don't even bother looking at GPU's with less than 4 GB of GDDR5 memory, it's just not worth it for me to downgrade, just to have a newer GPU.

realneil 2 months ago

[quote user="BMAN"]I don't even bother looking at GPU's with less than 4 GB of GDDR5 memory, it's just not worth it for me to downgrade, just to have a newer GPU[/quote]

Agreed.

It would be different if two cards in Crossfire or SLI would combine their memory (my two 3GB R9-280x would have 6GB of usable memory) but that's not so. Two 3GB cards will give you 3GB of memory performance total.I do have to say that two cards with 3GB each makes for some great gaming.

Crossfire and SLI do make a big change in your system's performance. My two GTX-570 1.28GB cards still eat games without many issues.

The two GTX-680 2GB cards do even better. Both sets of cards are in SLI.

I think that 4GB is the new minimum for me and I'll strive to acquire 6GB cards if I can.

altshep123 2 months ago

I'm a bit confused by your comment about the memory not being totaled.  If both cards in SLI are handling their own load up to their memory limit isn't this the same (if not better since you also have two processors as well) as a single card with twice as much memory?

What are the performance benefits of having the memory all on one card?  I can understand not wanting to downgrade to a card with lower memory if you already have a card that's higher but a generation behind.  However, lets say you have this SWEET new EVGA GTX770 2GB and you want to push your rig a bit further, another GTX 770 2GB would seem appropriate rather than going out and buying the same generation card or next gen card just for more VRAM, no?

realneil 2 months ago

[quote user="Ben"]However, lets say you have this SWEET new EVGA GTX770 2GB and you want to push your rig a bit further, another GTX 770 2GB would seem appropriate rather than going out and buying the same generation card or next gen card just for more VRAM[/quote]

Correct, but in SLI or Crossfire, when you look at the available GPU memory you have, it shows only the total on one card. Many think that the system's available GPU RAM should double since there are two cards.

Yes, you can buy another card like the one you're getting and ~almost~ double the performance. That's called scaling and you'll get over 90% most likely. If I were you, I would do just that.