AAA's New Goal: Driving-While-Texting Ban In All 50 States

AAA has declared war on drexting. Declaring that texting while driving is a "dangerous distraction," the automobile club has announced a campaign to get it banned in all 50 states.

Already, 18 states and Washington, D.C., have enacted such bans, New Jersey and California among them.

AAA supported the push for a nationwide ban with research from the Auto Club of Southern California that showed the state's ban, enacted in January, appears to be reducing the number of people texting while driving. According to the research, in Orange County, researchers saw 1.4 percent of drivers doing the deed before the law. Since then, just 0.4 percent of drivers were observed texting. So either most people have stopped or they've become better at hiding it.

AAA says texting while driving should be illegal everywhere...

A study recently released by the Michigan State Medical Society claimed that texting while driving made it six times more dangerous. The society deemed texting the most dangerous distraction because the National Highway Traffic Administration put all cell phone use at the top of the list of distractions; the society said that included texting and therefore made the act the most dangerous distraction.

AAA cited the exponential increase in texting's popularity over the past four years: "According to the wireless industry trade association CTIA, the number of monthly text messages reached 110 billion at the end of 2008-a more than 11-fold increase in three years."
Via:  AAA
Tags:  Driving, texting, AAA
Comments
Crisis Causer 5 years ago

I'm all for this.

Except I do know one person who drove better while texting then while not. He texted with both hands and drove fine, but when he was normal he would scrape the side of the road. Weird.

3vi1 5 years ago

I'm all for it too. Studies have shown that people texting while driving actually drove worse than people where under the influence of alcohol.

kid007 5 years ago

You guys are killing me, anyone gets distracted with everything inside the cars. BAN IPODS, BAN GPS, BAN CD CHANGES, in the process. OH WAIT WE CAN'T.

I laughed at all the retarted laws that are written by a senior citizen!

Blah!

3vi1 5 years ago

The first time I saw someone using a cellphone in a car was when they plowed through a red light, almost killing me and my infant son. That's generally how these laws get started: by someone who realizes "there ought to be a law" against some form of reckless endangerment.

You don't think the fear of a $200+ fine won't make a lot of people reconsider using a distracting device while driving? It might not, until they get the first ticket or two. And guess what - this law makes it possible for them to ticket you after the accident; It's all in your cell companies records.

In a perfect society, we wouldn't even need a law - people would just do the right thing. But, some people will continue to ignore the possible consequences and do any stupid thing until there's a law against it. This is why we need laws like this and laws telling them to buckle up (and it's working, according to statistics).

gibbersome 5 years ago

Haha, people under the influence of texting!

Why would you text and drive, it's just a bad bad idea. Not good for insurance companies either, who now have a higher rate of accidents due to texting.

Kiristo 5 years ago

I have almost crashed like 8 times just switching songs on my zune, texting while driving would probably kill me. You really shouldn't be doing anything but driving, but it saves time to shave and/or eat while driving. And who is going to leave their mp3 player alone when I Touch Myself by the Divinyls comes on?

kid007 5 years ago

"This law will lower the number of auto accidents. It will therefore potentially lower the cost of your auto insurance. So, unless you want yourself and your loved one's at higher risk while in a vehicle, what's not to like?"

I learned this a long time, you lowered the risk by not driving. you can't control other people.

Perfect example i'm riding my bicycle with my wife and infant. We have the right to go. i see a girl who is driving a jeep facing down. i tell my stop. until she sees you. guess what? a couple that was behind us couldn't wait and decided to cross the street. short story the stupid girl took her foot of the brake and puff hit them. oh wait was she texting? No! was she playing with her ipod ? yes is all about distracting bro! you have to look after idiots like that girl that can't freaking pay attention. that is what i'm saying you want to be safe don't drive. or move to NYC and live out of public transportation!

realneil 5 years ago

Distracted driving is a problem,.....kid007 is right. Anything that distracts you from paying attention to the road in front of you and your moving weapon, er, car is a bad idea.

But texting while driving seems to be all the rage these days and is epidemic in it's proportions. I see people doing it while driving all of the time. so, yeah, it should be made illegal.

Drago 5 years ago

The next thing to do is to use the GPS inside every phone to disable texting while it is moving at a speed that obviously man cannot walk. This would fix the problem right then and there. The only down side is if you happen to have your cell phone and get kidnapped and thrown in the trunk you couldnt text for help. Maybe some way of disabling it kinda like gmail has with the mail goggles where you have to answer a few arithmetic questions in a set period of time before it lets you get to texting at all.

gibbersome 5 years ago

Looks like many people are getting on the anti-text bandwagon.

I mean take a look at this over-the-top ad:

Crisis Causer 5 years ago

That ad is ridiculous.  Not for the faint of heart.

bob_on_the_cob 5 years ago

[quote user="Crisis Causer"]

That ad is ridiculous.  Not for the faint of heart.

Yeah that and the new drunk driving ads here in VA are stomach turning.

slugbug 5 years ago

Personally I believe cellphones should be banned from use in cars altogether. Most people can't walk and chew gum at the same time let alone use a cellphone and drive.

drivesafely 4 years ago
I use mobile apps of http://www.drivesafe.ly/. It is useful and helps me concentrate on the road. It prevents me from distraction because I don’t touch the mobile while driving.
nelsoncp21 4 years ago

-drivesafely- this is really border line spamming. Yes your posts are relevant but the only thing you post in the forums is on cell phone use while driving and pushing a link to a product. Keep it up and I will delete all the posts in which you refer to the product.