1Gbps Wi-Fi Soon Coming To a Billion Devices

Not only is 1Gbps heading for your Wi-Fi network by next year, it will be instantly über popular. The new 802.11ac 1G Wi-Fi standard hasn't even been ratified by the IEEE yet and In-Stat predicts that by 2015, consumers will have bought nearly 1 billion devices that use it.  1G Wi-Fi, which will use radio spectrum in a range below 6GHz, will be embedded in mobile phones, e-readers and automotive infotainment systems, the study reports. It further predicts:
  • Mobile devices with embedded Wi-Fi will make up most of the market. In 2015, shipments of mobile phones with embedded Wi-Fi are projected to approach 800 million.
  • By 2015, In-Stat projects that 100% of mobile hotspot shipments will be 802.11ac-enabled.
  • E-readers Wi-Fi attach rates will increase from 3% in 2009 to 90% by 2015.
  • In 2012, Wi-Fi automotive shipments will reach nearly 20 million.

Think of all the fun you and this Borg could have with 1G Wi-Fi.

Note that the standard that will bring all this speedy delirium to mobile device users is still very much a work in progress.

"The timing for 802.11ac approval is to have a draft standard created by 2011 and have the first 802.11ac products out by the end of 2012," said Frank Dickson, In-Stat vice president of research in a statement. "The technology behind 802.11ac has not been finalized. However, it will likely involve bonding four or even eight channels together and some tweaks to the modulation scheme."

As appealing as that bandwidth sounds, not many consumers will be able to take full advantage of it by 2015. That's because the choke point will be the wire leading into the house. High-speed DSL tends to top out at 3 to 7 Mbps and although cable claims to offer up to 20 Mbps, it often hovers nearer to 5 Mbps. Even if your house regularly achieves max speeds of 20 Mbps, that's still a far cry from 1000.

On the other hand, if it doesn't cost a premium to get 802.11ac on your device, it's worth having, if only to stream your own stored media around the house at super-fast speeds, and to claim my- Wi-Fi-is-faster-than-yours bragging rights.

Comments
inspector 3 years ago

I barely use wi-fi. Only time would be when im downloading or loading a extremely large website from my iphone.

KPoole1 3 years ago

As long as the 1 Gb/s Wi-fi has good security, I'd love it just for the connections around the house, streaming, sharing data and remote desktops would be just fine. Most of my machines wouldn't even fill all that bandwidth at once so many things could be happening at once and we'd never notice. I'd drop all the 100Mb/s wires in the recycling bin.

Where do I get some adapters?

DCarroll 3 years ago

I will update to this as soon as it's not ridiculously expensive. I currently have all my hard wired devices in the house running at 1gps, and wireless even at N speeds is awful. All my photos are on my server, and at 15 megs a photo it takes forever to flip though them or edit them. I ripped every DVD I had to the server in full quality, but only the hard wired systems can watch them in real time. WIFI as it stands is a drag.

rapid1 3 years ago

This would be nice as I am positive wireless use as well as uses is going to climb to some undetermined point from here on out. At the moment I do not use a lot of wifi at home as I am generally on a desktop. Although I do use it from time to time on the laptop, I have in the past used it extensively so I know the wireless characteristics of, and have bench marked my wireless vs. the neighborhood. It is always on top although one neighborhood connection is usually somewhat close the remainder are far below.

Of course my connection is different from many as I run it dully secured with no hangers on at all times, and I have a great tri-pole, dual output router as well. When running on the 5k connection (which is usual for me), and on a singular channel versus everything else I can see my band width is great.

AKwyn 3 years ago

I don't know. 1Gbps sounds good but then again, I'll have to set up the appropriate items and have to buy all new Wi-Fi routers that support 1Gbps Wi-Fi.

It's certainly amazing that Wi-Fi has gotten this fast but I don't want to have to run out, buy equipment and deal with the hassles of Wi-Fi. I'm still rocking wired for those of you interested.

coolice 3 years ago

Meh.... wireless speed will keep on increasing... thats a given, in like 10 years we've gone from wireless a to now n.

From less than 1mb to now about 300+mb. So it was only a matter of time before 1gb comes out.

Also, security has nothing to do with speed.... its like saying i wish my lexus deploys all 9 airbags if i get into a accident at 90mph vs 6 air bags at 60mph haha. Security is different.

Also keep in mind... having a faster wireless speed doesnt mean it'll be better than wired... it all depends on how everything is set up... also, wireless technology is more prone to errors, easily 50% of the bits transferred have errors and need to be re-transferred... i still prefer wired connection and mini silo's of wireless access points throughout the house. In my place, i've put two wireless routers, one on the top floor, one in the basement... it does the job just fine!.